Thursday 23 June 2011

These are a few of my favourite things

Or rather portraits. It's raining and I have been looking though my Photobucket and now I'm inflicting you with some pictures I particulary like. With that I bid you a festive Midsummer and I will return next week- hopefully with something sewing related.

Elizabeth of Austria




Marguerite de Valois



This beautiful lady was a member of the de la Gardie-family, at the time one of Sweden's richest families. Her gown is sumptous enough for that, I think.



Barbara Villiers



Lady ELizabeth Butler



Hedvig Taube, the mistress of the Swedish king Fredrik I. I often think that the portrait's of 18th century great beauties looks rather plain, but Hedvig really look beautiful.



This painting hangs at Skogaholm's manor house at Skansen in Srockholm. I love this gown andd wish the early 18th century suited me, as I would love to re-create it.



Alexander Roslin's pretty wife.



Lady Elizabeth Murray and her cousin Dido. I only recently found this through Pauline's delightful post.



I think this is a Sargent.



Thora Dardel by her husband Nild Dardel.



And Edita Morris, his mistress. This is one of my favourite portraits ever.



Another Dardel

4 comments:

Madame Berg said...

I'm beginning to appreciate the 17th century more and more... If I must blame someone, I guess I have to blame you.

Isis said...

I will happily take the blame! :D

Lauren Hairston said...

I'm totally loving the frock Barbara Villiers is wearing. I studied the Stuarts for my history degree, so I'm rather particular to the 17th century.

On the subject of Marguerite de Valois, my husband and I went with a friend to see The Princess of Montpensier last night, which is set during France's religious wars of the 16th century. The costumes were gorgeous.

Isis said...

Lauren: Yes, it's lovely!

I haven't heard about that movie- I will check it out. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...