Sunday 29 May 2011

18th century hats


18th century hats are so much fun and I love to make hats. And I only have three, go figure. I'm working on getting more of them, though. The first one is a straw hat I bought in a store for oriental food for very little money. I cut off the crown and shortened it before I re-attached it. The pink ribbons are the same as on my blue jacket.




The second is made of a woven place mat that I stiffened with glue and re-inforced the edges with millinery's wire. The crown is made of buckram. Covered in white cotton velvet, blue grosgrain bands and blue flowers. I think it is vastly pretty!





The third one was very simple. I covered the crown with a pouff of silver dupion silk (scrap from another project) and made a cockard from another piece of scraps to cover the base of the feathers.



10 comments:

Debi said...

Brilliant! I love these so much!!

Isis said...

Thank you Debi!

The Dreamstress said...

Oooh...I love all your hats! It makes me want to drop everything and make hats RIGHT NOW

Isis said...

Dreamstress. Thanks! Yeay, I feel very inspired to make a hat right now too!

Rowenna said...

Isis! A placemat! You're a genius! And I lovelovelove that hat!

Anonymous said...

Den mittersta hatten är min favorit, men de är förstås fina allihop.

Isis said...

Rowenna: Thank you! To be fair, I didn't come to the idea on my own. :) I think Madame Berg has done it too and I know several others.

Lady Augusta: Tack!

Lady Rebecca said...

I love that second hat! Were you able to use a synthetic straw for it, or did you use real straw?

Isis said...

Thanks Lady Rebecca! The second hat isn't straw at all, though, the placemat was woven of paper fibre... The other two are real straw, though.

Isis said...

An historical lady: Thank you! I do like the understated more than the over the top. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...